Fundamentals of Building Information Modeling
This course is the first of a sequence of interrelated courses on the current computer applications in the construction industry. The emphasis of this course is building information modeling (BIM) fundamentals. BIM, which allows engineers, architects, and others to more efficiently plan, design, and construct buildings and infrastructure, is revolutionizing the practice in the architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) industry.
The primary goal of this course is to:
- Cultivate students' knowledge on core BIM concepts, including object-oriented modeling, parametric modeling, and central databases.
- Train students to effectively use BIM tools for various construction project- management and research tasks.
A number of carefully crafted hands-on activities targeting construction problems will allow students to not only learn the fundamentals, but also master their applications in construction.
Additional tools required:
This course requires the use of a BIM authoring tool, such as Revit from Autodesk.
Note that Autodesk offers a Revit trial version that is free for 30 days. Autodesk also offers a free tool for viewing BIM models, the Autodesk Viewer.
As this is a 5-week course and the free Revit trial is 30 days, we suggest that you time the trial download correspondingly.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
Week 1: Introduction to BIM
- A Critical Review of the Facility Delivery Process
- Define BIM
- BIM Applications and Benefits
Week 2: Object-Oriented Modeling in BIM
- BIM Authoring Process
- Object-Oriented Modeling in BIM I- II
- Developing Architectural Model in Revit
Week 3: Parametric Modeling in BIM
- Parametric Modeling
- Parametric Modeling vs. Direct Modeling
- Parametric Modeling in BIM and Benefits
- Topological Constraints
- Central Database
Week 4: Structural Modeling and LOD
- Organizational Structure ain Revit
- BIM Tools for Different Applications
- BIM vs non-BIM Construction Tools
- BIM LOD
- Structural Model
Week 5: Construction Documentation
- Explain Construction Documentation
- Generate Construction Documentation in BIM (Revit for Demonstration)
- Develop Peripheral Structures and Create Construction Documents
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Purdue University, a partner institute of EdX.
6-9 hours per week
- Verified Track -$750
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Explain the fundamental principles of BIM.
- List BIM applications in construction and their corresponding benefits.
- Create BIM models.
- Develop construction documents through BIM.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...