Flight Vehicle Aerodynamics
This course covers the physics, concepts, theories, and models underlying the discipline of aerodynamics. A general theme is the technique of velocity field representation and modeling via source and vorticity fields, and via their sheet, filament, or point-singularity idealizations.
The intent is to instill an intuitive feel for aerodynamic flowfield behavior, and to provide the basis of aerodynamic force analysis, drag decomposition, flow interference estimation, and many other important applications. A few computational methods are covered, primarily to give additional insight into flow behavior, and to identify the primary aerodynamic forces on maneuvering aircraft. A short overview of flight dynamics is also presented.
Before your course starts, try the new edX Demo where you can explore the fun, interactive learning environment and virtual labs.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
Basic mechanics, vector calculus, basic differential equations; good familiarity with basic fluid mechanics concepts (pressure, density, velocity, stress, etc.) similar to the content in 16.101x (however 16.101x is not a requirement).
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a partner institute of EdX.
12 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- To model and predict the aerodynamic flows about wings and bodies
- To quantify the role of viscous boundary layers in producing drag and limiting lift
- To quantify and optimize the lift distribution on aircraft wings
- To reduce and analyze experimental flow survey data to determine profile drag
- To describe the motion of a maneuvering aircraft and quantify its aerodynamic forces
- To predict the airloads on unsteady airfoils
- To estimate the effects of compressibility in high-speed aerodynamic flows
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...