European Paintings: From Leonardo to Rembrandt to Goya
Learn about the inspirational work of the leading European painters from approximately 1400 to 1800, and explore the issues expressed through the art of painting. Included in this broad time frame are the works of Leonardo da Vinci, Caravaggio, Velázquez, Rembrandt, Vermeer and Goya.
Painters during this period were concerned with ideas such as the pursuit of beauty, the pleasures and pains associated with love, the demonstration of power and status, or the relationship of men and women to the divinity and to nature. In paintings from this period, we find traces of the emergence of the modern mind set, and perspective on issues such as the respective roles of women and men in the world.
This course focuses on images of paintings by the artists listed in the course syllabus. The discussions that will take place in the “course forum” will allow us to touch upon a broader range of issues.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Carlos III University of Madrid, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Learn to identify paintings by the artists covered in the course, and recognize characteristics of art of this time period.
- Learn about the variety of ways in which a work of art can be interpreted.
- Acquire the tools to develop a critical spirit and a personal point of view with regards to the history of art.
- Become familiar with the language and concepts necessary to understand the history of art and to continue studying it in the future.
- Learn to use a knowledge of art history to make sense of life and your experience in the world.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...