Design of Urban Water Management Structures
Detention storage structures and storm sewer systems are used to store and transport rainfall-runoff through open ditched and underground pipes.
In this course, we will:
- Learn about spatial distribution of rainfall, perform statistical analysis, fit different distributions to the data, and calculate design rainfall.
- Learn to estimate runoff using the rational method and time of concentration, and use the SCS-CN method to determine the time distribution of runoff. Unit hydrograph theory and computation of storm hydrographs will be covered.
- Use regulations to design storm sewer systems using EPA-SWMM.
- Compute storage volumes for detention storage structures.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
- An undergraduate course in hydraulics or fluid mechanics
- Analysis and Design of Water Distribution Systems
- Design of Sanitary Sewer Systems would be highly desirable.
Rainfall temporal and spatial variation, design rainfall and hydrologic risk
Runoff using Rational Method, storm sewer design
Detention storage design, SCS CN method
Hydrographs, SCS triangular and curvilinear unit hydrographs
Superposition, computing runoff hydrographs from unit hydrograph theory
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Purdue University, a partner institute of EdX.
5-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$750
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Determine design rainfall and calculate runoff using rational method, SCS curve number method and unit hydrograph theory.
- Calculate stormwater flows.
- Analyze and design storm sewer systems and detention storage volumes by rational method.
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...