Circular Fashion: Design, Science and Value in a Sustainable Clothing Industry
The MOOC Circular Fashion: Design, Science and Value in a Sustainable Clothing Industry brings you a comprehensive introduction in circular fashion brought to you by roughly thirty different experts from both academia and practice. You will learn about the versatile task of transitioning towards circular fashion, from the unique collaboration between Wageningen University Research, ArtEZ University of the Arts and many other experts.
After the course you will know the core concepts and tools to help better understand circular economy in the fashion industry. Some of the topics that are covered focus on understanding the challenge of recycling, design for circularity, alternative textiles through biobased innovation and circular business modelling to help bring innovations to the market.
Who should attend?
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Translation and interpretations
Introduction to terms and concepts such as sustainability and circularity, understanding the role of eco in fashion. First introduction to design for circularity.
Understanding the role of ecosystems in fashion. How to disrupt current thinking and mindset in the fashion industry and govern this transition.
Closing the loop
Introduction to the complexity of materials and recycling of textiles. Understand the importance of design for disassembly and recycling.
Biobased innovation new materialism
Learn about new biobased materials for textiles, understand the change in production processes and reflect on the future influence of biobased materials in fashion.
Business as crafting value
Introduction to economic paradigms and new forms of value creation for circularity in the fashion industry. Understand investment and acceleration and circular retail models.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Wageningen University & Research, a partner institute of EdX.
8-12 hours per week
- Verified Track -$169
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
The difference between sustainability circularity
- Constructing identity through consumption
- The difference between eco to ego in fashion
- Design for circularity
- Reflect on design thinking
- Individual agency and organic collectives in fashion
- Critique small-scale solutions
- Ecosystems in nature
- Challenge of governing the transition towards circularity from outsourcing countries
Closing the loop in fashion
- The complexity of textiles
- Challenges and opportunities of textile recycling
- Understand the loop of organic- and synthetic textiles
- Challenge of textile blends
- Design for recycling and disassembly
Biobased innovation and new materialism
- Learn about future raw materials
- New production processes
- Production capacity, automation and upscaling
- Forecasting biomaterials in fashion
- Debating fast fashion and online marketing
Business as crafting value
- Circular business modelling
- Circular business in second hand clothing market
- Learn about a new economic paradigm
- Understand investment and acceleration
- Insight into blockchain
- How blockchain can be used for transparency in the fashion value chain
- Understand fashion from a retail perspective
- E-commerce and circular retail models
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...