C Programming: Pointers and Memory Management
In this course, we will examine a key concept, foundational to any programming language: the usage of memory.
This course builds upon the basic concept of pointers, discussed in C Programming: Modular Programming and Memory Management, and introduces the more advanced usage of pointers and pointer arithmetic. Arrays of pointers and multidimensional arrays are addressed, and you will learn how to allocate memory for your own data during program execution. This is called dynamic memory allocation at runtime using pointers.
Within moments you will be coding hands-on in a new browser tool developed for this course, receiving instant feedback on your code. No need to install anything!
In this course, you will gain experience with programming concepts that are foundational to any programming language.
At the end of this short course, you will reach the fourth milestone in the C Programming with Linux Professional Certificate program, unlocking the door to a career in computer engineering.
This course has received financial support from the Patrick & Lina Drahi Foundation.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- C Programming: Getting Started For Complete Beginners DART.IMT.C.01
- C Programming: Language Foundations DART.IMT.C.02
- C Programming: Modular Programming and Memory Management DART.IMT.C.03 OR equivalent skills.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Dartmouth_IMTx, a partner institute of EdX.
2-4 hours per week
- Verified Track -$79
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Visualize the concept of a pointer and use it to pass variables to functions by reference in order to modify them via the function
- Apply pointer arithmetic in order to address elements of both one-dimensional and multi-dimensional arrays
- Use arrays of strings to store lists of strings in one array variable
- Control memory usage by dynamically allocating and freeing memory at runtime
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...