Areas of Social Work Practice
The primary mission of the social work profession is to enhance human well-being and to help meet the basic human needs of all people, with particular attention to the needs and empowerment of people who are vulnerable, oppressed, and living in poverty. A social worker should not only work with the client to help them navigate the injustice but to work towards changing that injustice.
Learners will be introduced to the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics and how to apply and utilize the code to navigate ethical dilemmas and decision-making processes. The NASW Code of Ethics includes these core values of social work:
- Service: helping people in need and addressing social problems;
- Social Justice: challenging social injustice
- Dignity and Worth of The Person: respecting every person
- Importance of Human Relationships: recognizing the central importance of relationships to a person’s well being and as a vehicle of change;
- Integrity: behaving in a trustworthy manner, and
- Competence: practicing within one’s area of competence and continually developing and enhancing one’s professional expertise.
Who should attend?
SWK1x: Introduction to Social Work is recommended for learners interested in this course.
- Poverty & Child Welfare
- Health Care Systems
- Mental Health & Substance Abuse
- Military Social Work Practice
- Aging & People with Disabilities
- Social Work in a Global World
Course delivery details
This course is offered through University of Alaska Fairbanks, a partner institute of EdX.
4-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Describe the role of social workers in working within diverse social work practice settings (health, child welfare, mental health, and substance abuse, military social work, poverty, criminal justice, gerontology, etc.)
- Gain an understanding of the healthcare system.
- Discuss the complexities of defining poverty.
- Describe the different levels of practice; micro, mezzo, macro.
Solutions for Your Biggest Business Challenges:
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...
Contact this provider
Have a question about this course? Fill out this form and the provider will get in touch with you shortly
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team