Value for Money and Performance Auditing
This course focuses on the three ‘E’s of performance auditing - economy, efficiency and effectiveness of programs, projects, and processes. It equips students by providing ways to assess these themes within organizations.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for dates and prices
Who should attend?
Chief Internal Auditors, Internal Audit Managers, Lead Auditors, Experienced Audit Practitioners (private, public and not for-profit).
- Fundamentals for Internal Auditing
Session 1: Setting the "VFM" scene
- The VFM agenda
- VFM Audit bodies
- Applicability of VFM to the private vs. public sector
Session 2: Context and Definitions
- The link between VFM audit and other “value” methodologies
- The link between VFM audit and other assurance roles
- Exercise: Identify Links
Session 3: The three ‘E’s of VFM
- An introduction to “economy, efficiency, effectiveness”
- Some other common ‘E’s
- Exercise: Cast your vote
Session 4: Developing a VFM Audit Programme
- Corporate agenda and initiatives
- Assessing overall arrangements for VFM
- Cutting your cloth
- The value objective
- VFM risk assessments
- Exercise: Risk assessment
Session 5: Readiness Check
- Is your organization ready?
- Is you audit team ready?
- VFM audit objectives
- What value does VFM audit provide?
- VFM auditing standards
- Skills and resources required
- Managing stakeholders
- Exercises: What is in your checklist?
Session 6: VFM Techniques
- The range of techniques available and their usefulness / applicabiilty
- Consideration of the “controls-based” approach vs. the “performance-based” approach
Session 7: Defining the “audit questions”
- Is there a question worth answering?
- Can it be answered?
- Prioritising the questions
- Case Study Part I: Issues Analysis
Session 8: Planning the VFM Audit
- Research, research, research!
- Case Study Part II: Initial Review
- Managing the audit risks
- Case Study Part III: Risk Assessment
- Defining the scope
- Determining resources
- Case Study Part IV: Drafting the Audit Proposal Document
Session 9: Overview of the VFM Process
- The VFM Decision Flowchart
- Determining the Audit Criteria Case study part V: Audit Criteria
- VFM Audit Evidence: What evidence is needed? and evidence collection methods - standard of evidence
- Case study part VI: Evidence
Session 10: Collection Plan
- VFM audit findings
- Case Studies
The morning of Day Three is given over to comprehensive case studies covering each of the three main ‘E’s. Delegates will be given the opportunity to work on topics relevant to their own organisations.
Session 12: Audit Completion
- Documenting the audit
- Supervision and review
- Quality Control
- The right of reply!
Session 13: VFM audit reporting
- Planning the VFM audit report
- Reporting objectives
- Maximizing your impact
- The reporting process
- The follow up process
- Exercise: Demonstrating the Value Added
Course delivery details
Bring this course to your organization at your convenience. ACI Learning can deliver this instructor-led course for your team at a chosen location or virtually. Alternatively, choose the topic(s) you need and ACI will craft a training solution to keep your team future-proof.
Certification / Credits
NASBA Certified CPE: 24 Credits Auditing
What You'll Learn
You will learn how to prepare an audit program, conduct value for money audits effectively, ways to demonstrate the value-add provided to the organization, essential tools and the best practices for success.
At ACI Learning, we train leaders in Cybersecurity, Audit, and Information Technology. Whether you're starting your IT career, mastering your profession, or developing your team, we're with you every step of the way. We believe that training is not a...