SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
Compensation is a key element of a Total Rewards strategy. Recognized as the world’s standard since 1976, the Certified Compensation Professional (SHRM-SCP) designation is known throughout the total rewards community as a mark of expertise and excellence in the fundamentals of compensation.
Possessing the Certified Compensation Professional designation gives you an edge in today’s competitive world signifying that you are an expert in your field. It gives you, and your employer, confidence in your job skills. The SHRM-SCP designation demonstrates you possess essential knowledge about integrating compensation programs with business strategy, designing and administering base and variable pay programs, complying with legal and regulatory requirements, and effectively communicating compensation information.
The SHRM-SCP is earned after obtaining a passing score for all required exams. For each of the required exams, corresponding preparation courses are available in a variety of convenient learning formats providing the essential skills and knowledge necessary to be a successful practitioner — as well as to better prepare you for the examinations.
Am I Eligible to Become a SHRM-SCP®?
All SHRM-SCP® candidates must meet certain educational, experiential, and credential requirements before sitting for the SHRM-SCP® exam. Browse the following requirements to ensure your eligibility for this SHRM approved credential.
- Total Rewards Management (T1/GR1)
- Accounting and Finance for the Human Resources Professional (T2)*
- Quantitative Principles in Compensation Management (C3E) or Quantitative Methods (T3/GR2)
- Strategic Communication in Total Rewards (T4/GR9)
- Regulatory Environments for Compensation Programs (C1)*
- Job Analysis, Documentation and Evaluation (C2/GR3)
- Base Pay Administration and Pay for Performance (C4/GR4)
- Variable Pay — Improving Performance with Variable Pay (C12/GR6)
- Market Pricing — Conducting a Competitive Pay Analysis (C17/GR17)
- Business Acumen for Compensation Professionals (C8)
* Not required for Canadian SHRM-SCP
What Are the Next Steps?
Review the areas of eligibility above and ensure that you have met all prerequisites for the SHRM-SCP® exam. If you do not meet all of these requirements you can either continue your studies and experience to work up to the SHRM-SCP® requirements or you can look at one of the other HR certifications that SHRM has to offer.
Retaining the SHRM-SCP® Certification
Upon successful completion and passing of the SHRM-SCP® exam, all professionals must remain active to keep their designation.