In Overview of Ultrasonic Testing, you'll learn ...
- How ultrasonic testing (UT) works, as well as common applications for UT in industry
- Advantages and limitations of UT
- Equipment used in UT and the types of sound waves used to interrogate materials
- Qualification and certification levels for UT technicians
Credit: 1 PDH
Length: 33 pages
Most metallic and some non-metallic materials can be tested for properties by destructive methods such as tensile or fatigue testing. However, that segment of material cannot be used again. Nondestructive Testing (NDT) can provide objective evidence that the material does not contain discontinuities of such a size or type that would be unacceptable to the governing Codes or Specifications without impairing its intended use.
Ultrasound is a method of Nondestructive Testing that is used extensively in most industries to interrogate materials for determination of size and location of surface and subsurface flaws.
This course is applicable to engineers involved in aerospace, nuclear or fossil power, chemical or petroleum industries, construction/infrastructure, and many others, especially those industries that deal with public safety. Many engineers have the requirement to specify the testing of their materials when procured, during installation and/or in-service. In these cases, a basic knowledge of NDT is desirable, if not crucial.
In this course the student will learn the basics of Ultrasound, including its applications, advantages, and limitations.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 10 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Why NDT tests are performed
- The different Technical Societies, Codes, and Standards pertinent to NDT
- An overview of NDT personnel levels, their qualification, certification, and responsibilities
- NDT and Quality Control programs
- Classification of material imperfections (discontinuities)
- Fundamentals of Ultrasound and the equipment used to perform ultrasonic examinations
Why choose PDHengineer?
Trusted by over 60,000 engineers to meet PDH requirements
Earn reward tokens with each course purchase
Triple guarantee that courses will be accepted by your state licensing board
Contact this provider
Professional Engineers have trusted PDHengineer to provide high-quality PDH courses since 2003. A large library of PDH courses and live, interactive webinars means that engineers can find PDH course material covering all of the major engineering disciplines. Plus, all PDHengineer...