Update to Health Care Background Screening and How to Reduce Hiring Risk
Gain an understanding of the proper employment process specific to background checks for medical professionals.
This topic will provide you with a better understanding of background checks for health care organizations that have employees who work with patients and interact with medical records. Any health care professional knows there can be dire consequences if a patient is harmed, either because an employee was unsuitable or did not have the credentials claimed or privacy is compromised. Failures in hiring can result in a parade of horrible, including lawsuits, investigations, and a loss of public trust, to name a few.
This material will provide an overview of critical aspects of health care background screening processes in order to reduce risk in hiring. Directed to intermediate attendees, this information may also be valuable to individuals with responsibility for hiring, including health care executives who oversee that function.
Who should attend?
This live webinar is designed for
- medical records directors
- health information directors
- business managers
- office managers
- hospital administrators
- billing managers
- release of records professionals
- compliance managers
- human resource managers
- personnel managers
- presidents and vice presidents
- business owners and managers.
Why Background Checks Are Mission Critical for Health Care Organizations
- Risks Associated With Negligent Hiring
- Risks Associated With Failure to Comply With Governmental Regulations and Accreditation
- Risks to Reputation and Financial Viability
From the Headlines - Examples of Health Care Organizations Making Bad Hires or Being Sued
- The Need to Take Steps Before the Background Checks, Such as Detailed Review of the Application and Past Employment Verifications
- Failure to Conduct Proper Credential Checks
- Failure to Do Appropriate Criminal Record, Sanctions, and Other Checks That Could Identify High-Risk Hires
Special Screening Tools and Considerations for Healthcare
- Past Credentials
- Government Disbarment Lists
- Joint Commission Requirements
- Criminal Records
- Social Media Checks
- Credit Reports/Identity Checks
- Driving Records
- International Checks
Law and Privacy Considerations
- The Importance of the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Similar State Laws
- The Importance of Ban the Box, the EEOC Criminal Guidance and Fair Chance Hiring
- The Importance of Privacy
Certification / Credits
- You will be able to define negligent hiring and how it applies to healthcare organizations.
- You will be able to describe best practices for background screening for healthcare positions.
- You will be able to recognize if there are deficiencies in your hiring practices that places your healthcare organization at risk.
- You will be able to review your organizations practices to ensure that you are taking appropriate measures to practice due diligence in hiring.
Contact this provider
Lorman Education Services - Live and On-Demand Courses
Lorman Education Services is a leading provider of online professional development and corporate training for organizations and individual professionals. For more than 30 years, Lorman has delivered relevant, high-quality, professional-level courses that cover a broad range of business and technical...