Sustainable Real Estate: Creating a Better Built Environment
Earn an official certificate of professional achievement from University of Cambridge
Buildings produce a third of all greenhouse gas emissions and are one of the main consumers of energy in the world.1 The real estate sector plays an undeniable role in the climate emergency and needs to be reimagined if we want a sustainable future.
On the Sustainable Real Estate: Creating a Better Built Environment online short course, you’ll learn how to find opportunities within sustainability challenges in the built environment. Designed by expert faculty from the University of Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership (CISL), the course addresses and analyses the ecological, social, and governance aspects of real estate. With this overview of industry trends and risks, you’ll examine how sustainable real estate can contribute to a more resilient and inclusive society, and positively impact communities. Towards the end of this eight-week course, you’ll develop a personal action plan to deliver a sustainable outcome in your own built environment context. This strategy will help you realise the role you and your organisation can play in improving your own supply chains, as well as the vast real estate network.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Is this course for you?
This course is for professionals who want to understand the sustainability challenges facing the real estate sector, and want the knowledge and insights to implement resilient measures to address these challenges. Real estate developers, entrepreneurs, city planners, architects, engineers, and other built environment professionals will learn about the latest planning and design considerations, as well as opportunities for sustainable development. Public sector professionals will have the opportunity to study the impact of sustainability on society, systems, and the broader built environment, and explore solutions to potential challenges. Investment professionals will also gain value from the course, as they realise the impact of climate change on real estate investments, and the value behind delivering a sustainable built environment.
Understand your role in developing a sustainable real estate sector as you work through the weekly modules of this online short course.
Real estate sector challenges and opportunities
Key themes for a sustainable real estate sector
Systems thinking for resilience
Redefining the business value for sustainable real estate
Design and procurement for sustainable real estate
Sustainable operation of the built environment
Developing a strategy and encouraging action
Maximising your influence and impact
Course delivery details
- 8 weeks (excluding orientation)
- 8–10 hours per week,Self-paced learning online
Certification / Credits
- Study sustainable real estate and earn an official certificate of completion from the University of Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership.
- Assessment is continuous and based on a series of practical assignments completed online. In order to be issued with a certificate, you’ll need to meet the requirements outlined in the course handbook. The handbook will be made available to you as soon as you begin the course.
- Your certificate will be issued in your legal name and sent to you upon successful completion of the course, as per the stipulated requirements.
What will set you apart
On completion of this course, you’ll walk away with:
- An understanding of the key issues affecting sustainability in the real estate sector, and their solutions.
- Insight into how sustainability connects communities and delivers social and business value, with systems thinking skills to integrate sustainable measures.
- A strategy for encouraging action and driving sustainability in your organisation or spheres of influence.
- Unlimited access to 2U’s Career Engagement Network, offering you exclusive resources and events to support your professional journey and drive your career forward.
Why choose GetSmarter?
- Data-driven course selection
- Outcomes-based design
- People-mediated delivery
GetSmarter™, powered by 2U, is an online learning expert with over 10 years' experience in developing premium online short courses from the world’s leading universities and institutions. We are powered by 2U to support you in unlocking your potential through...