Wave-Based NDT Methods
Wave-based NDT methods allow for reliable and rapid evaluation of civil engineering infrastructure. These methods are particularly useful in long-range inspection; for example, in pipelines, where the wave-based NDT can provide data on hundreds of meters of piping in a matter of seconds.
In this course, students will learn about wave-based NDT methods, including ultrasonic inspection, acoustic emission, resonant frequency testing, and electromechanical impedance testing. The topics include piezoelectric effect, basic principles of various wave-based NDT methods, and their associated data acquisition.
The course also includes case studies so students can apply the knowledge to field inspection or monitoring of materials and structures.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
Students interested in taking Wave-Based NDT Methods should successfully complete the edX course, Fundamentals of Non-Destructive Testing, before registering.
- Introduction to Piezoelectricity
- Fundamentals of Piezoelectricity
- Piezoelectric Characterization
- Piezoelectric Transducer
- Types of Piezoelectric Transducers
- Example Piezoelectric Transducer Fabrication
- Basic Principles of Ultrasound
- Measurement Techniques of Ultrasonic Inspection
- Couplant Gel
- Signal Processing & Visualization
- Ultrasonic NDT in Concrete Testing
- Acoustic Emission Basic Principle
- AE Inspection Equipment
- AE Signal Features
- AE Inspection Applications
- Resonant Frequency Testing Principle
- RF Inspection Equipment
- Case Studies
- Electromechanical Impedance (EMI) Testing Methods
- EMI Spectrum
- EMI Data Processing
- EMI Applications
- EMI Case Study
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Purdue University, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$750
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Explain the basic principles of various wave-based NDT techniques
- Interpret the obtained data of wave-based NDT methods
- Evaluate the material and structure conditions and integrity based on wave-based NDT methods
- Report the NDT testing results in both oral and written format following the provided guidelines
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...