The Art of Structural Engineering: Bridges
In this engineering course you will learn how to analyze bridges from three perspectives:
- Efficiency = calculations of forces/stresses
- Economy = evaluation of societal context and cost
- Elegance = form/appearance based on engineering principles, not decoration
With a focus on some significant bridges built since the industrial revolution, the course illustrates how engineering is a creative discipline and can become art. We also show the influence of the economic and social context in bridge design and the interplay between forces and form.
This is the first of three courses on the Art of Structural Engineering, each of which are independent of each other. The two other courses will be on tall buildings/towers and vaults.
No certificates, statements of accomplishment, or other credentials will be awarded in connection with this course.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- Introduction to Structural Art
- The Origins of Structural Art: British Metal For
- John Roebling and the Brooklyn Bridge
- Othmar Ammann and (some of) his Bridges of NYC
- The Golden Gate Bridge
- Robert Maillart and Reinforced Concrete Bridges
- Origins of Prestressing: Freyssinet, Magnel, and Finsterwalder
- New Bridge Forms: Christian Menn
- The Politics and Art of Spanish Bridge Design
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Princeton University, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- How to solve for the efficiency of structures using the appropriate formulas
- How to evaluate a structure within the measures of structural art
- How economic, social and culture influences structural design
- How to analyze bridge forms: suspension, beams, pre-stressed, arch, cable-stayed, tied-arch
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...