Technology Evaluation for Global Development
When a person lives on less than $2 a day — as some 2.7 billion people around the world do — there isn’t room for a product like a solar lantern or a water filter to fail. Investment in failing products undermines future innovation by reducing confidence and depleting scarce resources.
It’s a challenge faced every day by development agencies, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), and consumers themselves. With so many products on the market, how do you choose the right one?
This course, developed by MIT’s Comprehensive Initiative on Technology Evaluation (CITE) will explore the fundamentals of technology evaluation for global development. It includes a deep dive into CITE’s 3S methodology, looking at products from three angles:
- Suitability—does a product perform its intended purpose?
- Scalability—can the supply chain effectively reach consumers?
- Sustainability—is it a product that can be used correctly, consistently, and continuously over time?
This course is designed for academics and global development practitioners; those interested in conducting their own technology evaluations to promote data-driven decisions through research or development practice.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
- History of appropriate technology, the rise of technology use in global development
- History of evaluation, different styles of modern evaluation, and the definition of evaluation; how to conduct desk- and field-based scoping studies, and what a scoping study can teach you
- Methodology, research design, and applications for product suitability
- Methodology, research design, and applications for product scalability
- Methodology, research design, and applications for product sustainability
- How to complete an evaluation and summarize results for presentation to various audiences, how to generalize results, and alternative approaches to evaluation
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a partner institute of EdX.
10-12 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...