Sustainable Business Models: Guidance for Future Farmers
Agri-food systems are among the most important human-environmental production systems that shape our society. Current research on global drivers of change unambiguously demonstrates the role of the food system in the global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Strengthening the position of the farmer has been recognized as one of the key factors for the transition towards more sustainable food systems.
In this course, we will explain the current context, problems and opportunities of the value food chain and more specifically the role of the farmer in this system. We clarify why it is of crucial importance to create a good business plan. We will also explain step-by-step how you can create a strategic plan for a farming business.
First we will look at the values, norms and internal factors of a company. Thereby identifying strengths and weaknesses. Next we will dive into the external factors of the business by using the 5 forces of Porter and the PESTEL analysis. Once you know all the factors that define and influence a business, we can start with the creation of a strategy.
You will learn about market segmentation and will be able to determine the target groups that fit with the created value propositions. Finally, we will look at the business model canvas and explain how the nine building blocks interact with each other and can be optimized.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- Secondary school
- Interested in the agro value chain and the agro-industry
Introduction of the main topics covered in this MOOC. Furthermore, an explanation of the current state of the agro sector and the components of a business plan.
Explanation of the difference between entrepreneurship and management, the values of a company and the internal factors of a business.
Exploration of the external factors that influence a business.
Value proposition and customer segmentation
Exploration of the value proposition and customer segmentation of a farming business and the fit between them.
Business Model Canvas (BMC)
Exploration of the business model canvas and on how to make it more robust and futureproof.
Complete the course by passing the final quiz.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through KU Leuven, a partner institute of EdX.
4-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Understand the struggles of the agro food chain
- Explain the importance and benefits of a good business plan
- Understand the difference between management and entrepreneurship
- Identify the 6 capitals of a farming business
- Identify the local and global supporting environments of a farming business
- Complete a SWOT analysis of a farming business
- Develop a strategy based on the SWOT analysis by using Porter’s generic strategies
- Identify the business’ value propositions in the value elements pyramid
- Determine the businesses customer segments
- Complete a value proposition canvas
- Complete a business model canvas
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...