Supporting Veteran Success in Higher Education
This course is designed to be a training that familiarizes any faculty or staff member at a college or university with military and veteran culture as well as veteran-specific considerations in the areas of admissions, finances, academic and student life, and health and well-being. Our hope is that the information provided here will deepen the understanding of student veterans, resulting in a more veteran inclusive campus.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
The Veteran in Detail
- Introduction to Military Structure
- A Deeper Dive into the Military
- Why Do People Join the Service?
- Military Culture
- Veteran Stories and Experiences
- Why Do People Leave the Service?
The Veteran in Society
- Veterans: Definitions
- Transitioning to Civilian Life
- Communicating and Connecting with Veterans
- Veterans and Education
The Veteran and the Admissions Process
- Introduction to Admissions Considerations for Veterans
- Recruiting Student Veterans
- Examining Admission Policies for Veterans
- Partnering Between Two-Year and Four-Year Schools
- Reading the Veteran Application
The Veteran and Financial Considerations
- Introduction to Financing Veteran Education
- An Overview of Veterans Educational Benefits Through the VA
- Assisting Veterans in Understanding and Applying for VA Benefits and Other Aid
- FAFSA and CSS Profile Assistance, BAH and Housing Costs
- Assisting and Advising Veterans on Financial Issues After They've Enrolled
The Veteran on Campus
- Academic Advising and Support
- Syncing with the Rhythm of Campus
- Peer Resources
- Preparation for life after college
The Veteran and Health & Wellbeing Considerations
- An Introduction to Veteran Health and Wellbeing Consideration
- Physical Health
- Social Health
- Mental Health
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Colgate University, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49.99
- Audit Track - Free
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...