Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills
We all negotiate on a daily basis. On a personal level, we negotiate with friends, family, landlords, car sellers and employers, among others. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without profitable contracts. Within a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement.
I hope that you will join the hundreds of thousands of learners who have made “Successful Negotiation” one of the most popular and highly-rated MOOCs worldwide. In the course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation:
- (1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy
- (2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success
- (3) Close: Create a Contract
- (4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Week 1 Welcome to Successful Negotiation!
- Introduction and Overview
Week 2 Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy
- Should I Negotiate?
- Position Based and Interest Based Negotiation
- A Dispute Resolution or Deal Making Negotiation?
- Analyzing the Negotiation
- Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement
- Cross-Cultural Negotiations
- Ethical Issues and Standards
Week 3 Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success
- Getting to Know the Other Side and Using Power in Negotiations
- Psychological Tools: Introduction and Mythical Fixed Pie Assumption
- Anchoring, Overconfidence, and Framing
- Availability, Escalation, Reciprocation, Contrast Principle, and Big Picture Perspective
Week 4 Close: Create a Contract
- About Contract Law
- Creating Contracts
- Business vs. Legal Objectives in Contracting
Week 5 Perform and Evaluate: The End Game
- Dispute Prevention
- ADR Concepts and Tools
- Contract Performance Review and Evaluation
Week 6 Practice Your Negotiation Skills
- Your Negotiation Exercise
- Planning for Negotiation and Negotiation Tactics
- Psychological Tools, Creating and Performing the Contract, and Building a Larger Pie
Week 7 Final Examination
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The University of Michigan, a partner institute of EdX.
2-4 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
In the course, you'll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation:
- Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy
- Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success
- Close: Create a Contract
- Perform and Evaluate: The End Game
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...