Railway Engineering: An Integral Approach
Have you ever wondered what it takes to get your train on the right platform at the scheduled time every day?
Journey with us into the world of rail - a complex system that connects people, cities and countries.
Railway systems entail much more than a train and a track. They are based on advanced technical and operational solutions, dealing with continuously changing demands for more efficient transport for both passengers and freight every day. Each system consists of many components that must be properly integrated: from trains, tracks, stations, signaling and control systems, through monitoring, maintenance and the impact on cities, landscape and people. This integration is the big challenge and the source of many train delays, inconvenient connections and other issues that impact our society.
This engineering course attempts to tackle those issues by introducing you to a holistic approach to railway systems engineering. You will learn how the system components depend on each other to create a reliable, efficient and state-of-the-art network.
Who should attend?
- Identify the name and function of the main railway network components
- Evaluate the influence that railways exert on their environment and vice versa
- Explain the different methods of train control and their effect on timetabling and safety
- Understand the effects and the internal and external factors of disturbances on railway operations
- Identify the different methods of dealing with system degradation and the effects of interaction between the components
- Explore the state-of-the-art and future developments of railway systems
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Delft University of Technology, a partner institute of EdX.
4–6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...