Personal Finance, Part 1: Investing in Yourself
Ready to take control of your finances? Whether you are saving for a house or retirement, struggling with your taxes, or wondering if you should invest in education/training, stocks or bonds, there are many questions when it comes to personal finances. There are many benefits, both long and short term, to learning the keys of financial planning and becoming a financially savvy consumer.
This course will teach you to think financially about investing in yourself and your future. We will discuss investments in education and training and show you how to use important economic tools to evaluate whether the investments you make are worth it financially. We will also show you how to make the most of your skills and abilities whether you work for yourself or someone else. This includes such things as evaluating salary and benefit packages and figuring out how to get health insurance coverage and save for retirement.
This portion of Personal Finance covers:
- Human Capital Investment
- Net Present Value (NPV)
- Internal Rate of Return (IRR)
- Parameterized Spreadsheet Analysis
- Employment Contracts & Making the Most of Work Benefits
- Developing a Business Plan
- Paying for Health Insurance and Saving for Retirement When You Are Self-Employed
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
- basic familiarity with spreadsheets
- ability to use the internet
- basic numeracy (ability to use & understand formulas; ability to read graphs)
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Wellesley College, a partner institute of EdX.
4-5 hours per week
- Verified Track -$50
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- How to apply basic economic and financial principles (net present value, internal rate of return, compounding) to personal financial decisions
- How to model personal financial decisions using spreadsheets
- How to critically evaluate financial information for bias and self dealing
- How to analyze financial implications (costs and benefits) of most of your life decisions
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...