Mathematics 1 Part 1: Differential Calculus
Mathematics 1 Part 1 is the first of two self-paced courses from LSE which aim to introduce and develop your understanding of essential mathematical concepts, methods and techniques. This course can be taken alone or as part of the LSE MicroBachelors program in Mathematics and Statistics Fundamentals.
Part 1 covers the following topics:
Functions and graphs
Curve sketching and optimisation
Functions of two variables and partial derivatives
Critical points of two-variable functions
This course will equip you with the skills to solve unseen mathematical problems in these areas and will emphasise their applications to problems in economics, management, and related areas.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Secondary school (high school) algebra; basic knowledge of mathematical concepts. It is strongly reccommeded to study the LSE mathematics courses in order (progressing to Mathematics 1, Part 2) given the cumulative nature of the subject matter.
- Functions and graphs
- The derivative
- Curve sketching and optimisation
- Functions of two variables and partial derivatives
- Critical points of two-variable functions
- Final exam
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The London School of Economics and Political Science, a partner institute of EdX.
12-15 hours per week
- Verified Track -$199.2
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
By the end of this course you will have:
- used the concepts, terminology, methods and conventions covered in the course to solve mathematical problems
- the ability to solve unseen mathematical problems involving understanding of these concepts and application of these methods
- seen how mathematical techniques can be used to solve problems in economics and related subjects
- acquired skills in the methods of calculus (including multivariate calculus) and linear algebra, as required for their use in economics-based subjects
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...