Japanese Architecture and Structural Design
In this revised course, in depth video lectures cover various concepts related to architecture and structural design are presented and are accompanied by detailed articles for further study. Modern approaches to seismic design and retrofit will be covered through case studies of some unique campus buildings in Tokyo. The course starts by introducing the progression of structural design from traditional timber buildings to the first steel high rise structures, metabolism movement and the evolution of modern spatial structures in Japan. Concepts like ‘Integrated Facade Engineering’ and ‘Grid-skin structures’ are discussed and illustrated through case studies of Tokyo-Tech campus buildings wherein seismic performance was enhanced sustainably while considering the environmental performance and aesthetics. In addition, a number of 360-degree videos of Tokyo Tech buildings provide learners with an immersive experience. The application of the grid-skin concept to RC buildings is discussed using shear walls and a two-layer framing system. Modern response control strategies to achieve immediate occupancy post-earthquake like rocking frame systems and seismic isolation in steel buildings are covered and practical considerations while adopting these systems are explained through the design of campus buildings. Grid shell systems and their unique seismic response characteristics are explained. The design of the metro station near campus was used to explain the practical and technical difficulties of designing lightweight roofs. Finally, the importance of collaboration between structural engineers and architects is discussed in a number of interviews between ETH Zurich’s Prof. L. Stalder, Tokyo Tech’s Prof. T. Takeuchi and Prof. Y. Tsukamoto.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Basic knowledge of structural mechanics, dynamics of structures, elastic and plastic design, are preferred.
- Week1 : History of Japanese Structural Design
- Week 2 : Structural Design in Tokyo Tech Campus
- Week 3 : Concept of Grid-Skin Structures
- Week 4 : Spine Frames and Seismic Isolation
- Week 5 : Design of Spatial Structures
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Tokyo Institute of Technology, a partner institute of EdX.
1–3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$59
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Evolution of seismic design concepts in Japan
- Seismic retrofit approaches of steel and RC buildings.
- What are the different seismic response control strategies?
- Practical design applications of buckling-restrained braces, rocking frames and seismic isolation systems.
- What is the integrated façade engineering concept and how to practically implement it in design?
- How to use the concept of grid-skin structures to provide sustainable solutions?
- Seismic response control strategies of spatial structures.
- How the architect-engineer collaboration influences the design process?
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...