General Chemistry I: Atoms, Molecules, and Bonding
Chemistry is the study of the properties, structure, behavior, and reactivity of matter. As the central science, chemistry has connections to fields from physics to biology, from environmental science to nano-science. A fundamental understanding of chemistry is the basis on which cutting-edge research in many fields rests. This course is designed to build core skills in chemistry, including drawing chemical structures and predicting molecular properties and reactivities, as well as to gain the necessary fundamental knowledge for advanced courses such as Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Materials Science.
This chemistry course is the first in a series of two courses that together cover first-year, University-level chemistry. In this course, you will uncover the principles of chemical bonding, in the way it historically occurred: starting from the first experiments that revealed the fundamental dual wave-particle nature of energy and matter. Using the machinery of quantum chemistry, you will learn to:
- build models to describe the electronic structure of atoms,
- examine how atoms can be combined into molecules through different chemical bonding models,
- predict the structure and geometry of molecules,
- analyze how molecular geometry determines molecular properties,
- explore how molecules interact with each other and analyze how these interactions impact properties in a variety of phases
This course is based on material in MIT’s Principles of Chemical Science course, which fulfills the General Institute Requirement in Chemistry for all MIT undergraduates.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
High School Chemistry (Module 0 provides background information)Pre-Calculus-Level Mathematics5.01x is a prerequisite for 5.02x
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a partner institute of EdX.
10-12 hours per week
- Verified Track -$149
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Wave-Particle Duality of Energy and Matter
- Introductory Quantum Mechanics
- Electronic Structure of Atoms
- Molecular Bonding and Structure
- Intermolecular and Interatomic Interactions
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...