Essential Competencies for Nurse Preceptors
Nursing programs partner with a variety of clinical practice settings to provide student nurses expert clinical training. This essential partnership assures students are prepared to provide quality patient care. Within these practice sites, staff registered nurses (RNs) provide nursing students rich clinical learning experiences within a safe yet challenging learning environment. These RNs are identified as Nurse Preceptors. While many clinical practice sites have programs that prepare staff nurses to precept new employees, most programs do not include specific preparation for working with nursing students.
This Preceptor Development Program is designed to prepare registered nurses to construct high quality, rich, and effective learning experiences. Staff RNs who participate in preceptor development programs report more confidence and satisfaction in the preceptor role. This effect translates to the student’s learning as well. Students who have well prepared clinical preceptors describe effective and valued learning experiences.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- Preceptor roles and responsibilities
- Assessing learner needs and learning styles
- Clinical teaching
- Critical thinking and clinical decision making
- Legal issues in preceptorships
- Communication and conflict resolution
- Managing learning experiences of culturally and generationally diverse students
Course delivery details
This course is offered through University of Maryland, Baltimore, a partner institute of EdX.
1-2 hours per week
- Verified Track -$199
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
At the completion of this learning activity the learner will be able to:
- Discuss preceptor roles and responsibilities.
- Identify methods to assess learner needs and styles
- Design effective clinical teaching and clinical learning experiences.
- Facilitate students' critical thinking and clinical decision making
- Discuss legal issues applicable to precepting student nurses
- Apply principles of effective communication and conflict resolution to the clinical learning experience.
- Apply principles of diversity and inclusivity in the role of clinical preceptor
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...