Energy Systems Integration: A Trend or a Revolution?
Businesses and institutions all over the world face critical energy challenges. Namely: the rising cost of energy, the effects of climate change, and the resulting threats to our energy security.
If you want help identifying innovative and smart solutions, or if you're looking for new and integrated perspectives on the energy market, then this course is for you! Taking a multidisciplinary approach, this MOOC will help you understand how various energy systems interact and how you can relate your energy expertise to the wider framework of the energy transition.
Through your coursework you will meet renowned academics who have joined forces with world-leading industry experts. Together, they'll help you build the skills necessary to develop, plan, and operate a truly integrated sustainable energy system.
The course will look at energy systems from the perspective of five disciplines. The overarching value of energy systems integration, energy policy and regulation, the impact of electromobility, the future of electric power systems, and the psychology behind consumer behavior. For each of those disciplines, an experienced academic will explore six lessons, after which an industry expert will illustrate those lessons with real-life case studies.
The evolution of today’s energy landscape is complex. And we acknowledge that many more disciplines are involved. Therefore, you may consider those covered in this course as an introduction to even more specialized learning modules that will be offered in the future.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
Basic knowledge of either:
- Energy technology: conversion principles, electricity generation types, battery storage, electric transport
- Energy policy and markets
- Demand response, consumer behavior
Is this course for me?
This course will benefit you if you are a professional in the energy sector or simply have a strong interest in sustainable development as an individual. You will learn to understand how energy systems integration impacts your life, your business or research, and you will discover your potential to contribute to the exciting field of energy systems integration.
- The first module will define the concept of energy system integration as the coordination of coupling between different dimensions of the energy system. It will illustrate this with specific examples.
- In the second module, you will learn more about the effects of policy and regulation on other aspects of the energy system; such as on greenhouse gas emissions and on electricity prices.
- The third module focusses on the evolution of electromobility, raising some questions about public acceptability and how it impacts the electric grid.
- The fourth module will challenge you to think about future electric power systems all over the world, discussing the possibility of creating infrastructures that are optimal on both technical and socio-economical levels.
- Finally, the individual consumer is brought into the picture and his/her potential roles in energy system integration are analyzed in detail.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through KU Leuven, a partner institute of EdX.
7-8 hours per week
- Verified Track -$75
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Identify the different elements of the energy system, such as power system technology, policy and regulation, energy markets, electromobility, and consumer behavior.
- Explain (or give examples of) how each of these elements interact and contribute to energy systems integration.
- Interpret contributions of experts from different disciplines in the energy field, from engineering and economics to behavioral science.
- Explain your (potential) role in the framework of energy systems integration.
- Apply systems thinking to your field of expertise.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...