Effective Communication in Legal English
The English language is becoming increasingly important, not only when studying law, but also when working as a lawyer. The idea that the law is limited only to internal legislation and, therefore, to a single language, is prescribed. This is due to the fact that the law is not alien to international dynamics derived from globalization; it is even your regulator, channeler and catalyst.
This is how in most jobs in legal matters, in the national jurisdiction, regardless of the area of law, English is perceived as a necessity. Therefore, it is often used as a filter in various vacancies.
However, in the practice of law, as in some other professions, it is not enough to just speak English, but it is necessary to communicate effectively in that language. This implies a more technical knowledge and a certain relationship with different uses and practices of it, both in written and verbal form, and in different settings (formal and informal).
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Semana 1: Common Law (United States and United Kingdom)
- ****Main features of common law
- Judicial System
Semanas 2 Specialized Vocabulary
- ****Contract Law
- Commercial Law
- Tax law and international trade law
Semana 3: Writing Emails
- General Principles
- Structure of emails
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Universidad del Rosario, a partner institute of EdX.
4-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Identify the differences between the United Kingdom and the United States with reference to Common Law.
- Describe technical terms related to various branches of law
- Determine the essential elements for the effective construction of emails in the professional field.
- Understand and use specialized vocabulary in different areas of law.
- Write formal and informal texts in the exercise of the profession.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...