Co-Creating Sustainable CitiesedX
Co-Creating Sustainable Cities
All available course dates
Co-Creating Sustainable Cities
Around the world, major challenges of our time such as population growth and climate change are being addressed in cities. Here, citizens play an important role amidst governments, companies, NGOs and researchers in creating social, technological and political innovations for achieving sustainability.
Citizens can be co-creators of sustainable cities when they engage in city politics or in the design of the urban environment and its technologies and infrastructure. In addition, citizens influence and are influenced by the technologies and systems that they use every day. Sustainability is thus a result of the interplay between technology, policy and people’s daily lives. Understanding this interplay is essential for creating sustainable cities. In this MOOC, we zoom in on Amsterdam, Beijing, Ho Chi Minh City, Nairobi, Kampala and Suzhou as living labs for exploring the dynamics of co-creation for sustainable cities worldwide. We will address topics such as participative democracy and legitimacy, ICTs and big data, infrastructure and technology, and SMART technologies in daily life.
This global scope will be used to illustrate why specific forms of co-creation are preferred in specific urban contexts. Moreover, we will investigate and compare these cities on three themes that have a vast effect on city life:
- Water and waste
- Energy, air, food and mobility
- Green spaces and food
This MOOC will teach you about the dynamics of co-creation and the key principles of citizens interacting with service providing companies, technology and infrastructure developers, policy makers and researchers. You will gain an understanding of major types of co-creation and their interdependency with their socio-technical and political contexts. You will become equipped to indicate how you can use co-creation to develop innovative technologies, policy arrangements or social practices for a sustainable city in your own community. You will demonstrate this by developing an action plan, research proposal or project idea.
Who should attend?
The prerequisites are a bachelors/ undergraduate level on:
- Governance and environmental policy
- Urban resource management
- Urban environmental technology
- Module 1: Background Knowlegde for Co-Creating Sustainable Cities
- Module 2: Water & Water Waste: Water as a Basic Need
- Module 3: Energy and Air 1: Living with the Haze
- Module 4: Energy & Air 2: Citizens Co-Creating Cleaner Air
- Module 5: Urban Food & Green: The Use of Urban Spaces
- Module 6: Energy & Air 3: Creating Smart Energy & Mobility
- Module 7: Urban Water: Dry Feet for Citizens
- Module 8: Synthesus: The Dynamics of Co-Creation
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Delft University of Technology, a partner institute of EdX.
6-8 hours per week
- Verified Track -$139
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Different definitions, forms and typical examples of co-creation for developing sustainable urban water, energy and green systems.
- The potential of co-creation for developing sustainable cities.
- The interdependency between co-creation and its policy and socio-technical contexts.
- Comparison of different real-life cases of co-creation.
- To understand interdependencies between the real-life cases of co-creation and their policy and socio-technical contexts.
- How to formulate the potential of co-creation in your work or daily life.
Solutions for Your Biggest Business Challenges:
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...
Contact this provider
Have a question about this course? Fill out this form and the provider will get in touch with you shortly
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team