ChinaX Book Club: Five Authors, Five Books, Five Views of China
How can literature and literary analysis allow us to understand the dynamics of contemporary China? ****
China’s historical and cultural transformations, and its imaginary and actual engagements in everyday life are vividly dramatized by five Chinese authors featured in this course. Taught by Harvard faculty member Professor David Wang, this course will employ the tools of close reading, discussion, and analysis to explore issues that concern the Chinese people, and ponder the power (and limitations) of literature in imagining China anew.
Featured Books and Authors ****
- China in 10 Words by Yu Hua (ISBN: 978-0-307-73979-7)
- Red Sorghum: A Novel of China by Mo Yan (ISBN: 978-0-14-016854-9)
- Lenin's Kisses by Yan Lianke (ISBN: 978-0-8021-2177-6)
- Waiting by Ha Jin (ISBN: 978-0-375-70641-7)
- The Song of Everlasting Sorrow by Wang Anyi (ISBN: 978-0231143431)
This course features interviews and discussions with the authors. More Information about each of these authors is available in the syllabus.
Who should attend?
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Harvard University, a partner institute of EdX.
1-2 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Survey the transformation of contemporary Chinese literature through direct engagement with five books and author interviews
- Explore contemporary China from a range of perspectives including politics, ethics, culture, and gender
- Understand how literature (particularly in the context of China) can become a source of political intervention and articulate tensions between authoritarianism and individual freedom.
- Develop your own approaches to modern literature, culture, and history via close reading, critical discussion, and analysis
- Express ideas more clearly and confidently through the study of primary and secondary sources
Solutions for Your Biggest Business Challenges:
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...
Contact this provider
Have a question about this course? Fill out this form and the provider will get in touch with you shortly
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team