In this course, we go beyond the calculus textbook, working with practitioners in social, life and physical sciences to understand how calculus and mathematical models play a role in their work.
Through a series of case studies, you’ll learn:
- How standardized test makers use functions to analyze the difficulty of test questions;
- How economists model interaction of price and demand using rates of change, in a historical case of subway ridership;
- How an x-ray is different from a CT-scan, and what this has to do with integrals;
- How biologists use differential equation models to predict when populations will experience dramatic changes, such as extinction or outbreaks;
- How the Lotka-Volterra predator-prey model was created to answer a biological puzzle;
- How statisticians use functions to model data, like income distributions, and how integrals measure chance;
- How Einstein’s Energy Equation, E=mc2 is an approximation to a more complicated equation.
With real practitioners as your guide, you’ll explore these situations in a hands-on way: looking at data and graphs, writing equations, doing calculus computations, and making educated guesses and predictions.
This course provides a unique supplement to a course in single-variable calculus. Key topics include application of derivatives, integrals and differential equations, mathematical models and parameters.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Single-variable Calculus (derivatives, integrals and basics of differential equations); College or AP/IB High School Level
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Harvard University, a partner institute of EdX.
3-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$139
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Authentic examples and case studies of how calculus is applied to problems in other fields
- How to analyze mathematical models, including variables, constants, and parameters
- Appreciation for the assumptions and complications that go into modeling real world situations with mathematics
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...