BIM for Construction
This course is the second of a sequence of interrelated courses on current computer applications in the construction industry. The emphasis of this course is the application of building information modeling (BIM) in construction.
The primary goal of this course is to:
- Cultivate students' knowledge and skills on the application of BIM and supplementary tools to construction tasks.
- Train students to effectively use BIM tools together with traditional scheduling and cost-estimating tools to assist construction management tasks.
A number of carefully crafted hands-on activities targeting construction problems will allow students to not only learn the fundamentals, but also master their applications in construction.
Additional tools required:
This course requires the use of a BIM viewing tool, such as Navisworks from Autodesk, and scheduling software such as Microsoft Project.
Note that Autodesk offers a trial version of Navisworks that is free for 30 days, and Microsoft offers a trial version of Project that is free for 30 days.
Autodesk also offers a free tool for viewing BIM models using Autodesk Viewer.
As this is a 5-week course and the free Navisworks and Project trials are 30 days, we suggest that you time the trial download correspondingly.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
Students interested in this course should have successfully completed edX course. Fundamentals of Building Information Modeling.
Week 1: Model Review, Clash Detection, and Model Coordination
- Introduction to Navisworks and File Formats
- Working with Multiple Files in Navisworks
- Model Review in Navisworks
- Clash Detection
Week 2: 4D, 5D, and nD Modeling
- Time and Cost in nD Modeling
- 4D Models in Navisworks
- Quantity Takeoff and 5D Animation
Week 3: Scheduling
- Construction Planning
- WBS 1 and 2
- WBS for Gas Station
- Activity Duration
- Sequencing Activities
- Critical Path Calculations
- Commercial Scheduling Tool
- Scheduling in MS Project
Week 4: Cost Estimating
- Define Estimating
- Estimating Methods I and II
- Cost Control
- Earned Value Method
- Assignment on Cost Estimating and Control
Week 5: BIM-Based Construction Planning
- BIM-Based Project Planning
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Purdue University, a partner institute of EdX.
6-9 hours per week
- Verified Track -$750
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Explain the fundamental concepts of 4D and nD modeling, and clash and clash detection.
- Conduct clash detection to review and analyze BIM models.
- Create 4D, 5D, and nD models.
- Conduct quantity takeoff and estimate costs.
- Develop and analyze construction plans.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...