AC and Switching Circuits
Alternating current (AC) is the type of electricity commonly used throughout the world to connect power plants, homes, and businesses. This course will give you an understanding of why AC is used and will allow you to design and analyse circuits which use AC electricity.
You will learn how to calculate voltages, currents and power in circuits with AC sources, how to calculate RMS voltage and current, how to handle both sinusoidal and non-sinusoidal sources, how to use relays and transistors as switches, how to design circuits with transformers, how to model realistic, non-ideal transformers, how to design and build simple DC power supplies and rectifiers, and we will explore concepts of maximum power transfer with AC circuits. In terms of sequencing, this course would be suitable for students who already have a working knowledge of basic DC circuits (such as our other MOOC Circuits for Beginners).
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
A working knowledge of DC circuits. Completion of our course Circuits for Beginners is recommended.
- Week 1:- Introduction to AC Circuits
- Week 2: Phasors
- Week 3: Non-Sinusoidal AC Circuits
- Week 4: Transformer Circuits
- Week 5: AC-DC Conversion
- Week 6: Switching Circuits
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The National University of Singapore, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$139
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
At the end of this MOOC, learners will be able to discuss:
- how to calculate voltages, currents and power in circuits with AC sources
- how to calculate RMS voltage and current
- how to handle both sinusoidal and non-sinusoidal sources
- how to use relays and transistors as switches
- how to design circuits with transformers
- how to model realistic, non-ideal transformers
- how to design and build simple DC power supplies and rectifiers
- concepts of maximum power transfer with AC circuits
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...