Performance Measurement for Asset Owners and Consultants - 1 day Training Course
This course from the Spaulding Group is designed to help asset owners and consultants understand the key characteristics of investment. They share some of the same needs as an investment manager, but there are a number of unique parts that this course will focus on.
At the end of the course participants will have a good understanding of the following:
- Rates of Return
- Risk Measurement
Upcoming start dates
Contact the Spaulding Group for more information.
- New Brunswick
Who should attend?
This course is designed to benefit asset owners and consultants.
Rates of Return
- Why percentages are used
- The role of returns to judge performance
- The role of cash flows
- Time-weighted returns: why and how it’s done
- Money-weighted returns:reporting role and why they have more value than time-weighting for plan sponsors
- When the numbers don’t make sense (and why they do!)
- Where the data comes from (external managers, in-house, custodians, consultants) and what to do with them
- A review of the four major classifications of benchmarks: market indices, absolute, peer groups, and custom
- The criteria that is often used to judge benchmarks
- What benchmarks should a plan sponsor use?
- Risk measures versus risk-adjusted measures
- A review of the major measures and what they offer/how they compare
- Risk management: how best to manage risk when you don’t control the investment
- Absolute versus relative attribution
- The Brinson models: how they differ
- The interaction effect: why it’s loved, why it’s hated
- Why fixed income attribution needs its own models
- Geometric vs. Arithmetic
- How plan sponsors should measure attribution
- What GIPS is, what its role is, and why it’s so important
- Firm definition
- Composites: what they are and why they’re important
- What discretion means
- How we calculate returns
- What firms must give to prospects
- What verification is
- What performance examinations are
- Why GIPS should be a requirement for external managers
- Should plan sponsors comply?
Contact The Spaulding Group for pricing information.
Contact this provider
Since 1990, The Spaulding Group has been one of the most influential performance measurement services firms in the investment industry. Solely focusing on the money management industry, Spaulding is unlike other firms that support a variety of industries. There is...