Project Scheduling Basics - In House
Are your projects consistently late? Are you struggling to set realistic expectations of when you will be able to turn over deliverables to your stakeholders? If so, then this course is for you.
Starting with how to choose the right high-level scheduling approach (waterfall, incremental or agile) for your project and continuing on to detailed scheduling techniques such as the critical path method (CPM), this one-day workshop will give you the tools you need to build more realistic project schedules. Case study simulations will give participants hands-on practice building project schedules for public-sector projects.
Upcoming start dates
Who should attend?
This course is a foundational course recommended for those interested in learning the basics of project management. We also recommend it for beginners who have no prior formal scheduling training but who wish to take courses on Microsoft Project or Primavera P6.
There is no prerequisite for this course. It functions as a stand-alone course.
- The importance of planning
- The purpose of a good schedule
- What a schedule cannot do
- Scheduling Approaches: Predictive (Waterfall), Incremental, Iterative and Adaptive (Agile)
- How to choose the right approach
- Components of a Schedule
- Duration-Driven vs. Effort-Driven Schedules
- Sequencing, Dependencies, Lags and Leads
- Prededence Diagraming
- The Critical Path Method
- Gantt Charts
- Scheduling within Constraints
- Preparing a Schedule Basline
Rolling Wave Scheduling
- What is rolling wave planning?
- What is agile?
- An overview of Scrum
- Performance Reporting Basics
- Earned Value Management
- Forecasting Using Velocity
- Key Points to Remember
Certification / Credits
Participants will gain practical skills to:
- Describe different project scheduling approaches
- Determine the appropriate scheduling approach for a project
- Build a project schedule using the critical path method
- Use a project schedule to monitor and control projects
- Forecast new project end dates based upon actual progress metrics
- Effectively communicate due dates to project stakeholders
Contact this provider
Procept Associates Ltd.
Since 1963, Procept (and its subsidiaries) have trained over 1 million people from over 17,000 organizations. We focus on developing competencies in project management, change management, agile management, leadership, business analysis, IT and data management, as well as soft skill...