In Power Transformer Protection, you'll learn ...
- Types of transformer short circuits
- Factors that limit the magnitude of a transformer winding fault
- Causes of abnormal stresses in a transformer
- Methods of power transformer protection
Credit: 4 PDH
Length: 60 pages
The advancement of electrical power systems has been reflected in the developments in power transformer manufacturing. This has led to a wide range of power transformers. Their ratings range from a few kVA to several hundred MVA and they are used for a wide variety of applications.
Power transformer protection varies with the application and transformer importance. In the case of a fault within the power transformer it is important to minimize tripping time in order to decrease the impact of thermal stress and electro-dynamic forces. Distribution power transformers can be protected by using fuses or overcurrent protection relays. This leads to time-delayed protection due to downstream co-ordination requirements. Nevertheless, time delayed short circuit clearance is unacceptable on larger power transformers due to system operation/stability and cost of repair.
This course is intended for electrical engineers with a desire to understand power transformers protection fundamentals. Presented information includes details related to interturn, tank and core faults. Information on over-voltages, magnetizing inrush, overheating is also included.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 35 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Power transformer fault background
- Power transformer differential protection
- Power transformer restricted earth fault and overcurrent protection
- Phase correction and filtering of zero sequence currents
- Over fluxing and tank-earth protection
- Buchholz protection
- Earthing transformer protection
- Autotransformer protection
- Non unit and unit protection schemes
- Power transformer condition monitoring
Why choose PDHengineer?
Trusted by over 60,000 engineers to meet PDH requirements
Earn reward tokens with each course purchase
Triple guarantee that courses will be accepted by your state licensing board
Contact this provider
Professional Engineers have trusted PDHengineer to provide high-quality PDH courses since 2003. A large library of PDH courses and live, interactive webinars means that engineers can find PDH course material covering all of the major engineering disciplines. Plus, all PDHengineer...