In Power Plants 101: Boilers, Turbines and Environmental Considerations, you'll learn ...
- How the steam cycle is used to generate electricity
- Boiler components and theory of operation
- Turbine design considerations, including speed, startup, shutdown and control
- Power plant environmental considerations
Credit: 2 PDH
Length: 21 pages
Even though more utilities and customers utilize renewable energy, the fact is that most power consumed is still generated at power plants. The main function of a power plant is to generate electricity. There are several types of power plants. Nuclear plants utilize uranium and fossil plants utilize coal, oil or natural gas as their fuel source. Hydro plants utilize water as their drivers.
In this course, you'll learn about the major components of a non-hydro power plant, which utilizes a boiler, condenser, turbine and generator.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 20 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- The power triangle
- Components of the power generation and transmission system
- Energy conversion principles
- The steam cycle
- Boiler design considerations, including circulation and steam flow control
- Turbine design considerations
- Condenser design considerations
- Combustion theory and operation
- Methods to reduce stack emissions
Why choose PDHengineer?
Trusted by over 60,000 engineers to meet PDH requirements
Earn reward tokens with each course purchase
Triple guarantee that courses will be accepted by your state licensing board
Contact this provider
Professional Engineers have trusted PDHengineer to provide high-quality PDH courses since 2003. A large library of PDH courses and live, interactive webinars means that engineers can find PDH course material covering all of the major engineering disciplines. Plus, all PDHengineer...