Earn an official certificate of professional achievement from Stanford University.
As a health or wellness professional, having a sound understanding of the science behind nutrition is crucial for giving clients and patients informed advice about longevity, vitality, and holistic disease management.
The Nutrition Science online short course from the Stanford Center for Health Education (SCHE), a part of Stanford Medicine, provides you with a foundation in nutrition as it explores the role of micronutrients and macronutrients in the body, and how this relates to human health in different contexts of human development.
Guided by the renowned Prof. Christopher Gardner, you’ll learn to interpret nutritional evidence and make nutritional assessments and dietary analyses, with the assistance of nutritional guidelines. You'll also gain the insight to recognize the value of optimal nutrition in terms of preventative care, develop the skills to critically examine contemporary research, and ultimately earn a certificate of completion from the SCHE.
Who should attend?
Is this course for you?
The Nutrition Science online short course is aimed at healthcare professionals, including medical doctors, occupational therapists, dietitians, pharmacists, and nurses, as well as lifestyle specialists such as nutritionists, fitness instructors, coaches, health educators, and food writers. The curriculum is designed to help these professionals grow in their current roles by providing them with the knowledge and frameworks to advise patients and clients on dietary plans for healthy living and disease prevention.
The importance of health education
Health and nutrition education has become increasingly recognized due to the advent of COVID-19. This nutrition course introduces learners to basic concepts of nutrition and how these concepts are linked to health. Modules cover the major nutrient groups and their role in human health, as well as the different methods of nutrition assessment, highlighting the importance of dietary and nutritional guidelines. Additionally, the course offers nutritional information which can be used to maintain a healthy diet and prevent disease.
Learn the principles of nutrition science as you work through the weekly modules of this online short course.
Welcome to your Online Campus
Nutrition guidelines: Science versus politics
The role of macronutrients: Carbohydrates
The role of macronutrients: Fats
The role of macronutrients: Proteins
Calorie balance in context
The role of micronutrients: Vitamins
The role of micronutrients: Minerals
Health, disease and nutrition
Course delivery details
- 6 weeks excluding orientation
- 8–10 hours per week Self-paced learning online
Certification / Credits
- Explore evidence-based nutrition and earn an official certificate of completion from Stanford Center for Health Education, part of Stanford Medicine.
- Assessment is continuous and based on a series of practical assignments completed online. In order to be issued with a certificate, you’ll need to meet the requirements outlined in the course handbook. The handbook will be made available to you as soon as you begin the course.
- Your certificate will be issued in your legal name and sent to you upon successful completion of the course, as per the stipulated requirements.
What will set you apart
On completion of this course, you’ll walk away with:
- An understanding of the relationship between food and nutrition.
- The skills to develop nutrition guidelines and plans for different individuals and contexts.
- Knowledge about fats and carbohydrates, the effects of sugar, supplements, diet fads, and the importance of protein.
- A certificate of completion from Stanford Center for Health Education, a part of Stanford Medicine.
- Unlimited access to 2U’s Career Engagement Network, offering you exclusive resources and events to support your professional journey and drive your career forward.
Why choose GetSmarter?
- Data-driven course selection
- Outcomes-based design
- People-mediated delivery
GetSmarter™, powered by 2U, is an online learning expert with over 10 years' experience in developing premium online short courses from the world’s leading universities and institutions. We are powered by 2U to support you in unlocking your potential through...