This is course 2 of 2 for the Field Volcanology and Hazards Certificate.
In this course, we will be taking you outside of the classroom on virtual field trips. These field experiences are where volcanologists get their hands dirty and really learn the tools of the trade. We will take you on an interactive tour around Icelandic volcanoes where we will be talking to experts on location, digging holes to discover past eruptions, and hearing amazing stories of survival. We will discuss how to better manage volcanic hazards, using examples in Aotearoa New Zealand. You will also get to explore rocks and landscapes while navigating around 360° videos and 3D landscapes and rock samples. You will gauge your learning all along the way, building knowledge and skills, and thinking about why volcanoes matter to you.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Course delivery details
This course is offered through University of Canterbury, a partner institute of EdX.
1-2 hours per week
- Verified Track -$79
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Describe why volcanoes erupt in Iceland and New Zealand.
- Use the field skills of a volcanologist to explain and describe volcanic rocks and landscapes.
- Explain why different volcano types have different eruption hazards.
- Appreciate the value of cross-cultural perspectives from Māori narratives and values to stories of Icelandic trolls.
- Apply field data and historic eruption stories to discuss volcanic hazard implications in different locations in Iceland and Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Discuss the plan to drill into a magma chamber, weigh up the societal benefits such as renewable geothermal energy and better eruption prediction with risks and costs.
- Use appropriate cultural consideration and apply communication skills to describe volcanic processes to diverse audiences.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...