Planning for Risk and Retirement
Planning for Risk, Retirement and Investment is made possible by the Brian and Sheila Jellison Family Foundation.
The Planning for Risk, Retirement & Investment course is designed for individuals to build financial literacy, one of the most pressing needs Americans face today. Financial decisions made by individuals impact the larger community in significant ways with pervasive cost due to financial mistakes. A recent study by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) reveals over 50% of Americans have less than $10,000 saved for retirement. In addition, over 50% of Americans have no emergency fund, unable to cope with an unexpected car repair without borrowing funds. Financial literacy is an urgent need for many.
This course dives deeply into issues and decisions that impact your financial future. You’ll explore strategies around controlling and managing risk, planning for retirement, and cultivating an investment mindset.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- Good reading comprehension
- Basic arithmetic
- Willingness to learn
- Principles and Insurance Needs
- Property & Casualty Insurance Products
- Sources of Income in Retirement
- The Principles of Becoming an Investor
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Indiana University, a partner institute of EdX.
4-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$199
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
Through course videos, selected short readings, and self-paced activities, students in this course will gain both conceptual and practical knowledge of the inevitable and universal decisions around managing risk, planning for retirement, and starting a program of investment. You’ll develop your ability to:
- Classify a variety of financial risks
- Choose between risk acceptance and risk avoidance
- Assess your family’s need for life insurance including the amount and type
- Choose between whole, term, and universal life products
- Understand the features and limitations of property and casualty insurance products
- Compare policy features and costs across insurance products
- Understand an insurance policy and how to save money when purchasing
- Determine your need for renter’s insurance
- Distinguish between basic automobile insurance and coverages
- Assess your need for comprehensive and collision insurance
- Participate in a step-by-step workshop on retirement planning
- Calculate your retirement income needs and identify common sources of retirement income
- Distinguish between investment and speculation
- Understand and compare the features of secured credit
- Assess your tolerance for risk in investments and evaluate investment products
- Develop your investment mindset
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...