Nitrogen-related field measurements
We have to feed the world population but, currently, we do this at the expense of environment, climate and human health due to nitrogen pollution from the use of fertilizers. This is the nitrogen challenge, one of the biggest environmental challenges of the 21st century.
Developing and improving nitrogen science globally could bring us closer to the solution. To do this, good measurements are key, providing us with information on the nitrogen status of the soil and the plants it nurtures. This can help us in understanding the underlying processes, establishing a solid basis for effective nitrogen management strategies.
In this course, we provide training in:
- greenhouse gas flux measurements with closed static chambers,
- ammonia flux measurements with a dynamic chamber,
- a suite of widely-used plant and soil nitrogen measurements.
The scientists of the South Asian Nitrogen Hub bring you guided training videos on measurement methods and laboratory analyses accompanied by detailed descriptions of procedures and calculations, as well as many downloadable materials useful both on the field and in the lab.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
We recommend taking the Nitrogen: A Global Challenge course first.
Introduction to nitrogen-related field measurements
Introduction to the measured gases (ammonia and greenhouse gases) and the process of leaching.
Greenhouse gas flux measurements using closed chambers
Principles of closed static chamber measurements, how to install a chamber and take samples, how to analyse samples and calculate fluxes.
Ammonia measurement with a dynamic chamber
Introduction to dynamic chamber measurements, how to build and install a chamber, how to take samples, lab analysis and flux calculations.
Plant and soil nitrogen measurements
How to collect plant samples and analyse them in the lab, principles of soil and leachate sampling, physical and chemical analysis of soil and leachate samples, calculation of the nitrogen budget.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The University of Edinburgh, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Learn about the importance of ammonia and greenhouse gases and why leaching is an important process within the nitrogen cycle.
- Acquire the knowledge of the closed static chamber method for measuring greenhouse gas fluxes, learn how to do the lab analyses and calculate greenhouse gas fluxes.
- Get training in ammonia flux measurements with dynamic chambers, find out how to analyze the ammonia samples and how to use them in flux calculations.
- Gain insight into plant and soil sampling, learn how to analyze them in the lab, and calculate the nitrogen budget.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...