Metabolomics in Life Sciences
This course is an introduction to metabolomics principles and their applications in various fields of life sciences.
We will provide a summary of all steps in metabolomics research; from experimental design, sample preparation, analytical procedures, to data analysis. The course also provides case studies of various kinds of research samples to attract students that are not familiar with metabolomics, providing them enough explanation to utilize metabolomics technology for their respective research fields.
Several examples of metabolomics applications will be introduced throughout the lectures. These include examples within food science and technology, metabolic engineering, basic biology, introduction to imaging mass spectrometry, and application in medical science.
No previous knowledge on metabolomics is needed but we recommend that students have an undergraduate-level understanding of Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, and Biostatistics, and that they learn about basic principles of multivariable analysis prior to taking this course.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- Undergraduate level in Biochemistry
- Undergraduate level in Analytical Chemistry
- Undergraduate level in Biostatistics
- Week 1: What is Metabolomics?
- Week 2: Application of Metabolic Fingerprinting for Food Quality Assessments
- Week 3: Metabolomics: A Powerful Tool for Phenotype Improvement
- Week 4: Basics of Mass Spectrometry and Imaging Mass Spectrometry
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Osaka University, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- The basic principles of metabolomics
- Workflow of metabolomics research from design of experiment to data interpretation
- Applications of metabolomics in various fields of life sciences
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...