Medium-Term Debt Management Strategy
The course explains the joint International Monetary Fund-World Bank (IMF-WB) MTDS framework and provides comprehensive training on the accompanying analytical tool, the MTDS AT. The MTDS AT is useful for analyzing quantitatively the cost-risk characteristics of an existing debt portfolio, as well as the cost-risk trade-offs of alternative financing strategies. Participants are taught how to develop financing strategies by taking account of the composition of the existing debt portfolio, developments in key macroeconomic and market conditions, potential sources of financing, and linkages with broader medium-term macroeconomic framework, including debt sustainability.
This course was jointly developed by the IMF Monetary and Capital Markets Department (MCM) and the IMF Institute for Capacity Development in collaboration with the WB and funded by the Debt Management Facility (DMF).
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Some knowledge of economics is helpful. Basic Microsoft Excel skills and access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection and a Google Chrome web browser are essential.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The International Monetary Fund, a partner institute of EdX.
2-4 hours per week
- Verified Track -$25
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the framework for the development and formulation of a medium-term public debt management strategy.
- Explain why the framework matters for sustainable economic growth and development.
- Understand the role of the Analytical Tool in debt strategy formulation.
- Measure the costs and risks associated with a country’s existing and potential future public debt portfolios, using a range of indicators.
- Generate projections of key macroeconomic variables and market prices for use in debt strategy analysis.
- Develop suitable future financing strategies for comparison.
- Understand how different financing strategies impact the evolution of the public debt portfolio and its cost and risk characteristics over time, considering initial macroeconomic and financing conditions.
- Prepare a medium-term debt management strategy (DMS) document based on a chosen strategy.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...