Medical Genomics 101
Medical Genomics 101 (CME) is for Physicians, Physician Assistants, and Nurse Practitioners seeking CME credit. You must be registered with the Charlotte Area Healthcare Education Center to receive credit.
This continuing medical education course includes six modules which cover various areas of medical genomics including: Introduction to Genomics, Variation, Microbiome, Pharmacogenomics, in vitro (IVF) and Fetal medicine, and Oncology.
Each module defines common terms, shows examples of data, and how healthcare is changing due to genomic insights. Each module also contains ethical, legal, and social implications of genomics in medical treatment. All modules contain five multiple choice questions to assess learning gains.
Interspersed in each module are multiple interviews with practicing healthcare workers who have first hand experience with medical genomics and how the standards of care are changing. This continuing medical education course contains information that satisfies the American Board of Medical Specialties six core competencies: Practice-based learning and improvement; Patient care and procedural skills; Systems-based practice; Medical knowledge; Interpersonal and communication skills; and Professionalism.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Intended for working healthcare providers
- DNA to RNA to protein (undergraduate)
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Davidson College, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
After completing this course, students will be able to...
- contrast the different steps of the drug discovery process,
- summarize the relationship between patents and generic drugs,
- interpret dose-response curves from the action of drugs on proteins,
- calculate drug-target binding energies from potency measures,
- describe factors that affect the flow of a drug through the body,
- predict structural changes in a molecule to influence half-life,
- priorize weakly active molecules as potential drug candidates,
- implement modifications to improve the properties of drug-like molecules, and
- assess literature reports of drug development programs.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...