Introduction to Environmental Science
Introduction to Environmental Science, ENVX, was first offered in early 2015.
Environmental science is the study of patterns and processes in the natural world and their modification by human activity. To understand current environmental problems, we need to consider physical, biological and chemical processes that are often the basis of those problems. This course will give you the skills necessary to address the environmental issues we are facing today by examining scientific principles and the application of those principles to natural systems. This course will survey some of the many environmental science topics at an introductory level, ultimately considering the sustainability of human activities on the planet.
Environmental impacts on Earth come from the number of people and the amount and types of resources that they use. By applying scientific principles and considering real-world examples, we will examine:
- The field of environmental science and how to think like an environmental scientist
- The human population and the ways in which changes in the population affect the environment
- Agriculture, soils and the environmental implications of eating meat, vegetables, local, organic, sustainable, industrial and other types of food
- Non-renewable fossil fuels with a focus on coal, petroleum and natural gas and the benefits and consequences of using each
- Renewable fuels such as wind and solar and identify that even renewable “green” energy sources have impacts as well as benefits
- Biodiversity and global change, which are the integrating units of environmental science
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
A basic knowledge of physical and life sciences would be helpful.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Dartmouth College, a partner institute of EdX.
5 hours per week
- Verified Track -$50
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- How to think like an environmental scientist
- How natural systems are affected by people
- An appreciation of your own impact on the environment
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...