Introduction to Deep Earth Science
Have you ever imagined what is deep under the ground? What is happening deep inside the earth? How has the earth evolved into its present state? This course is an introduction to earth science, focusing on the deep earth. We will learn how temperature and chemical compositions inside the Earth are inferred from limited observations combined with laboratory experiments. We will also explore the fate of water on the early Earth related to advanced research questions. Upon finishing this course, you will learn how scientists interpret the unknown and use the scientific method to address immeasurable research challenges.
No specific knowledge is needed. Join this course and let’s imagine the inside of the Earth together.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Secondary school (high school) chemistry physics Basic mathematics concepts
- Week 1. Introduction to the solid Earth
- Week 2. Plate Tectonics
- Week 3. Chemical composition of our planet
- Week 4. Temperature inside the Earth
- Week 5. Earth’s water
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Tokyo Institute of Technology, a partner institute of EdX.
1-2 hours per week
- Verified Track -$60
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Chemical compositions and dynamics inside the earth
- Internal temperature of the earth and how it is estimated
- Theory on Plate tectonics and how these plates glide over the mantle
- Water inside the deep earth as an example of advanced Earth science research
- How to apply multidisciplinary scientific methods to understand what can’t be seen directly
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...