Genomic Medicine Gets Personal
While the advances in genomics promise to usher a new era in medical practice and create a major paradigm shift in patient care, the ethical, legal and social impact of genomic medicine will be equally significant. The information and potential use of genomic discoveries are no longer issues left for scientists and medical professionals to handle, but have become ones for the public at large. Rarely a day passes without a genomics-related story reported in the media. By the end of this course, students will be able to better understand the field of genomics; be familiar with various online databases and resources; and understand and appreciate the medical, social, ethical, and legal issues associated with the availability of personal genomic information.
Given the diversity of the topics and the specific expertise required to cover each, this is a unique cross-disciplinary course where faculty from different disciplines including genetics, computational sciences, bioinformatics, genetic counseling, bioethics, law, and business will participate in lecturing. We have assembled a team of experts from various departments at Georgetown University and other institutions, to teach this comprehensive online genomics course.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
None. This is an introductory course.
- The basics of genetic abnormalities and disease
- What we can learn from genetic testing both pre- and post- birth, and in oncology
- The basic science behind how the genetic tests are done
- The ethical, legal, and social implications of genomic discoveries; the genetic counseling issues; and the new trends in direct-to-consumer marketing of genetic tests
- Critical information medical professionals as well as patients and their families need to know to be current in the field
- Available resources (education, patient support, general information, etc.)
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Georgetown University, a partner institute of EdX.
8-10 hours per week
- Verified Track -$25
- Audit Track - Free
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...