Electromagnetic Compatibility Essentials
This course is designed to gain essential know-how in today’s world of very high frequencies. For instance, smartphone CPUs already work with clock frequencies above 3 GHz. But did you know that such fast switching disturbs other devices nearby? Such disturbances are either simply annoying or can become a real problem. As a consequence, international regulations exist which demand for emission and immunity tests before selling an electronic device.
The topic of EMC must be considered in all aspects of circuit design in order to reduce the number of prototypes. We would like you to gain an intuition for EMC with the help of lab examples. We emphasize basic physical principles and avoid highly complex mathematical derivations instead. After completion, a certificate will be awarded. We are already working on three follow-up courses to obtain a professional EMC certificate, backed by Graz University of Technology.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Graduation from high school and fundamental knowledge of electrical engineering. Completion of bachelor's level lectures equivalent to 6.002x (circuit analysis and electromagnetics) is very helpful.
- Week 1 (Introduction): Learn what EMC is and why we should bother with it. Understand the theory of galvanic, capacitive, inductive, and radiated coupling. Time and frequency domain awareness. Spectrum analysis.
- Week 2 (EMC Design): Learn the most common EMI filtering methods. Understand that an EMC-aware PCB design makes a tremendous difference. Consider parasitic elements of components and create simple lumped element models.
- Week 3 (EMC Testing): Learn the purpose of international regulations. Understand basic laboratory equipment. ESD testing. Emission measurements. Procedure with an accredited test house.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Graz University of Technology, a partner institute of Trinity College.
5-7 hours per week
- Verified Track -$100
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Learn where these electromagnetic interferences (EMI) come from.
- Fundamental knowledge on how to keep them under control.
- Techniques such as the analysis in time and frequency domain.
- Noise travels in two modes: differential and common. Knowing in which mode the noise occurs opens doors to suppression (EMI filtering).
- Not only radiating fields matter, but electrostatic discharge (ESD) as well. How large are the voltages after walking on a carpet? How stressful are the discharges to my computer?
- And much more! (e.g. EMI receiver, lumped-element models, most important EMC standards)
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...