In this class, learners will learn all about electricity infrastructure, including electricity generation, transmission, use and safety. The focus is on actual installations, so students can learn about electrical substations, 3-phase power distribution, typical power plant voltages, large transformers, as well as single-phase, split-phase, and 3-phase circuit breaker boxes and wiring setups found around the world. Learners will understand the importance of AC in an electricity grid, as well as grounding/earthing, pole transformer setups, as well as residual current/ground fault interrupt and safety setups and lightning protection.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
The student should be familiar with the basics of electricity. For instance, the student should understand Ohm’s Law and the use of phasors in AC. Our previous courses Circuits for Beginners and AC & Switching Circuits may be helpful for learners who aren’t familiar with these concepts.
- Week 1: Introduction (4 videos)
- Week 2: Circuit Breakers and Residual Current Devices (7 videos)
- Week 3: Polyphase power (6 videos)
- Week 4: 3-phase transformers (3 videos)
- Week 5: Split-phase power (3 videos)
- Week 6: Electricity generation (5 videos)
- Week 7: Electricity distribution (6 videos)
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The National University of Singapore, a partner institute of EdX.
1-2 hours per week
- Verified Track -$139
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
At the end of this MOOC, the learner will be able to discuss:
- Wire gauge
- Why AC is generally used for transmission instead of DC
- Why three phase is used and how to calculate line and phase voltages
- Circuit breakers, metering, fuses, lightning rods, residual current/GFCI devices, and grounding rods
- Star and delta transformers and electrical substation layout
- The electricity grid, and how it is generally designed
- Split phase, single phase, 2-phase, and 3-phase consumer units/breaker boxes
- How power is injected into the grid
- Typical grid voltages and power plant capacities
- Grid challenges with renewables, power output from solar farms
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...