Drug Discovery & Medicinal Chemistry
Drug discovery is a challenging field, but the pathway most drugs navigate from concept to market is predictable and based upon repeated experimentation. The process requires scientists with expertise in chemistry, biology, and medicine. This course focuses on four aspects of drug development.
- regulation - approval protocols for government regulatory agencies
- pharmacodynamics - how a drug affects the body
- pharmacokinetics - how a drug flows through the body
- lead discovery/optimization - the steps for finding and improving molecules as potential drugs
The course closes with two case studies of molecules that have advanced through the development process and into clinical trials.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Students planning to complete the course should have the prerequisites listed below.
- high school algebra - logarithmic and exponential functions
- high school biology - general anatomy and basic cell structure
- high school general chemistry - equilibrium and intermolecular forces
- introductory organic chemistry - functional group recognition and line-angle structures
Students who do not have these prerequisites will understand much of the course content but may have difficulty earning a passing grade.
- Module 0 - Welcome
- Module 1 - Drug Discovery Process
- Module 2 - Drug Targets
- Module 3 - Drug Metabolism & Pharmacokinetics
- Module 4 - Lead Discovery & Optimization
- Module 5 - Case Studies from the Literature
- Module 6 - Farewell
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Davidson College, a partner institute of EdX.
5-7 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Genomics terminology
- Theoretical examples
- Clinical examples
- Ethical, legal and social implications
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...