Learn the best online search methods to help you find medical information quickly and accurately. These techniques are shown by searching for information about Coronavirus / COVID19, but are widely applicable to searching for medical information on nearly any topic.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Introduction—Why learning medical powersearching skills is important
- finding basic information about Coronavirus
- principles of medical powersearching
- making a good query
- how to read the search results page
- finding symptoms
- COVID-19 self assessment
- finding testing locations nearby
Searching for Coronavirus risk factors
- who is at risk of serious illness?
- framing your query is simplest possible language
- determine the source of your information
- when is an image search useful?
- find out when the information was published (and how)
- medical information changes over time
Discovering how Coronavirus is spread
- finding the best masks to wear
- comparing information about masks from different sources
- using a simple spreadsheet to compare data
- how to filter search results by time (last hour, past week, past month…)
How much Coronavirus is in my community?
- how to search your county health department for data
- reading the data provided in the search results
- how to notice the details about the data (city? county? state?)
- comparing Michigan data with California data (and to YOUR location)
- searching for tools to compare data across the country
Finding strategies for living in a world with Coronavirus
- how to find your local recommendations and guidelines for health
- search pattern for your location
- how to search for how busy a business is; how to find less-crowded times
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Google, a partner institute of EdX.
1-2 hours per week
- Verified Track -$29
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- How to frame your medical search query accurately.
- Ways to limit the search results to just the past week, month, or year to get the latest medical information.
- How to collect information from a variety of different medical websites, putting claims into a spreadsheet side-by-side to let you assess their accuracy.
- Methods for finding the best times to visit stores in your neighborhood in order to minimize your potential exposure to Coronavirus.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...