Birds 101: Introduction to Pet Birds
Birds are amazing animals! They are extremely intelligent, quite social, and some can make ideal companions! From parrots to parakeets, chickens to canaries and cockatoos, there are many species of birds to choose from when considering these feathered friends as pets.
This course provides introductory material about pet bird care including behavioral characteristics of different species of birds, bird handling, anatomy and physiology, and keeping birds as pets. Bird enthusiasts, pet bird owners, and others who work with birds will learn interesting and practical information!
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
No previous knowledge of birds is required to succeed in this class.
- Module 1: Fundamental information about keeping birds as pets including behavioral characteristics of different species, husbandry and nutrition, and disease prevention.
- Module 2: Introduction to avian anatomy and physiology focusing on differences from mammals that make birds unique and amazing.
- Module 3: Introduction to basic veterinary procedures used when handling and caring for birds in a clinical setting.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through University of Tennessee, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Basic behavioral characteristics of birds commonly kept as pets, including parakeets, parrots, canaries and more
- Basic husbandry, nutrition, and biosecurity for pet birds
- Anatomy and physiology of birds
- Common veterinary procedures used for birds in clinical settings
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...